Translate

Friday 22 February 2013


I wont be going to a Proper Football match this week. I am off to Shrewsbury Town where I have a season ticket. I don’t know whether it is habit or addiction but I have been doing it all my life and don’t know how to stop. They play in English League 1. Sounds very grand but when Sky TV beefed up the first Division and re branded it The Premier League in line with the premier finances it bestowed upon it, the second division decided to jump on the band wagon and restyle themselves The Championship which left the Third Division  with the grand title of League 1. To those old enough to know better it remains the Third division.
 But even here, amongst the professional clubs, it is different to Proper Football. They play for points not entertainment. The crowd will watch a boring game and if their team scores a goal and win one nil, even if it is a lucky or unjust goal, then their team are world beaters for claiming all three points. [It used to be only two points for a win , but that’s inflation for you.]
If however their team lose 10 -9 in a thrilling end to end game it is the end of the world. The manager must be sacked, players dropped or sold and expensive replacements bought at over inflated prices.
But again I am lucky. Thanks to the wonder of mobile phones, Mick will keep me updated with the Proper Football scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment